Ginger Chicken is a classic semi gravy dish that goes well with rotis and pathiris. In this recipe, the marinade don't have cornflour or maida so the chicken will be without any coating in the curry. In case you want the chicken to have a coating, then you can add 4 tablespoons of Cornflour and 3 tablespoons of Maida in the marinade. In this case, instead of just cooking the chicken, you will have to deep fry the chicken in a kadai and then do the other steps as noted below.
For Frying the Chicken
- Marinate all the marinade ingredients along with chicken overnight or for atleast 2 hours.
- Take the marinated chicken and cook in a pan without pouring water or oil. Water (fat) will ooze out from the chicken. When chicken is cooked, put it on high flame till its dry and all the water dries out.
- Pour in oil and soya sauce and fry the chicken. Take the chicken from the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add oil and then add ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Saute for some time. Add Onions and saute till the oil starts popping out. Add curry leaves and coriander leaves and saute again for a few more minutes.
- Add salt, chilli powder, soya sauce, tomato ketchup and sugar and saute again for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fried chicken and saute again till it blends well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Ginger chicken is ready :) Enjoy with some batoora, pooris, chapathis or aripathals (pathiri).